Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Mower

I mowed the lawn this week for the first time since last fall. I actually love mowing. It gives me lots of time to think. I love the look of the newly mowed grass. I love the smell. And the hum of the motor drowns out life and I'm left alone in my thoughts.

As I mowed, I remembered reading my brother's college entrance exam. He talked about how he learned to work hard from the example Dad set. He talked about all the hard work he'd had to do -- and how Dad made him mow the lawn every week with a mower that was older than he was.

It was a funny comment. But it is entirely true. Dad's mower at home IS older than my brother. The fabric bag that collects the clippings wore out, so Dad stitched it together with a shoe lace. When that wore out, I think he did eventually have to replace the bag. The machine is old, and the handle is rusty. But Dad is still using the same mower.

Dad believes in having the right tools to do the job, but he also believes in teaching us the value of economy, hard work and independence. And he worked hard right next to us. While people around us were contracting with landscape companies to mow, or even investing in a fancy riding mower, Dad had the boys mowing with a very standard mower. I remember countless days that Dad mowed, too. As a young girl, it was comforting to see him out there, pushing the mower. I knew Dad had everything under control. I knew he would take care of us.

As technology advanced and time passed, Dad never saw a need to "upgrade" his own mower. The one he had worked just fine. Which is why my brother ended up mowing the lawn with a machine much older than he ever was.

When we moved in to this house, Dad personally wanted to make sure I had a "good" mower to do the job right. So my mower is self-propelled, starts up in 2 strokes guaranteed, and cuts through grass like butter. It's a great machine and it makes my life a whole lot easier.

... funny how he didn't ever see a need for such technology for himself...

I don't think he anticipated that I would be using the mower. But every time I do, I think of my Dad. His goal in life is to make life easier for my mom, my siblings and for me. He will go without if that means putting his family ahead. He learned it from his dad because that is what Grandpa did for him.

That's true greatness.

That's what I want to do for my children. Dad, I can't ever repay you. But I promise to continue that legacy of sacrificing, hard work and love for others.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet father. I bet your children feel the same things for you that you feel for your father as they move forward in life. You do a great job of continuing that legacy.

    ReplyDelete